Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Spring Fever


Wednesday (2/16/2011) - I thought that on Tuesday my body was sore, well just getting up and down out of my chair at the office today is painful!!  I can tell that I got an excellent workout in on Tuesday and for anyone that would like a great trainer just let me know!!!   My elbow is a bit sore today from my fall, but besides that I am feeling great!  Decided to take today off and foam roll and stretch.  Early work out again in the AM tomorrow.

Tuesday (2/15/2011) - I started my morning off extra early and hit the gym at 6:00am to get in some strength training before work.  This is the first day I have completed any strength training during my marathon preparation.  Luckily for me, my roommate/cousin is an amazing personal trainer who completed the Boston marathon last year and knows exactly what it takes to get one's body ready for the long journey.  Even though it was her day to sleep in, she was willing to get up early with me and go to the gym to show me some exercises that I need to be doing at least twice a week in order to prep my body.  I learned six new exercises that were not going to bulk my muscles up like heavy weights and completed each one three times.  After a great workout it was time to head out an get ready for the workday!
 
Although I was a bit tired from getting up early to work out in the morning, I headed over to City Sports Run Club after work to meet up with the crew to complete a 5 mile run that I needed to do as part of my running schedule.  There were approximately ten people there and since last week the Charles River route was extremely icy, we all decided to do a new route down Beacon St. to Comm Ave to the BU Bridge.  The past few runs, at least one person has fallen during the run.  WELL it was my turn this week!!  Although the sidewalks were not too icy, I apparently did not see a bump and tripped and fell :-(  It seemed to all happen in slow motion and was fairly graceful.  I guess it was my week to take a spill.  Thank goodness I only scrapped my elbow!!  The fall must have been partly due to the fact my legs were tired from the morning workout and I got lazy.  After the fall we finished the trek to the BU Bridge and then turned around and came the 2.5 miles back to the Store.  Now that my running fall for the year is out of the way, the rest of the year should be no problem!



Monday (2/14/2011) - Although it was Valentine's Day and most people were out celebrating their loved ones and friends and family, I was back at it again.  The weather was significantly warmer than it has been and created a gorgeous night for a run.  I did my usual 3 mile loop around the apartment and this time I even passed someone else that was out running!!  Passing someone always gives me that extra motivation to keep working hard. 


Saturday (2/12/2011) - On Saturday, I participated in a 12.5 mile route that took me along part of the marathon route.  I started at Chestnut Hill, took a left onto Com Ave and ran all the way down to the end of the Carriage Lane by the Mass Pike and then stopped, turned around and did the same route back.  I was lucky enough to be joined by three great friends who all helped me perform at my best.  When I began to slow down or get tired, one of them was always providing support to keep going strong, reminding me that the marathon was only "64 days away".  Crazyy!!  Not only was I running with friends, but there were numerous other people and teams completing training runs along Com Ave as well.  A variety of distances were being covered and there were numerous refueling stations with water, Gatorade, gel packs and other snacks being provided along the way.  All the refueling stations were extremely supportive and even allowed my friends and I some refueling liquids along the way.  Without the Gatorade and water I received, my body would not have been able to push as hard.  Another successful run completed!!!  I just want to say THANK YOU to all my family and friends who have been patient with my training schedule which consists of going to bed early on Friday nights now, no drinking, early Saturday mornings, and resting all day Saturday after the long run has been completed.  I just keep telling myself it will be so worth it in the end!

1 comment:

  1. I love these updates. You're going to do great, Val! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete